Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Frustration

Last night I got an angry-toned phone call from a career firefighter regarding my participation in last year's VSET (a program requiring volunteer firefighters to work a scheduled shift each month with a career crew at the career station). This is the third issue this year I've had to deal with on this and related matters with my department.

Most of us volunteer firefighters joined up to help our neighbors and community in times of need. It can be a very rewarding experience - though it is also a time-intensive endeavor with all the training, station maintenance, paperwork, and other objectives that keep piling on. It is getting very difficult to remain a volunteer firefighter these days. I could go on and on about this, but in the end the day will come when I'll have to make a choice, and that day may be coming sooner rather than later.

6.3 miles running today.

No comments:

Post a Comment